Hey there… Welcome to The Gym Life!
My name is Colin and I co-own The Training Box and Wild Foods. I’m a coach, author, food nut, fitness fiend, and pursuer of all things health, psychology and philosophy. Every word on this site has been–and will always be–written by yours truly. I write here and at my 2nd blog The Feeble Mind.
My Mission is to help you with two things…
I want to help you:
- Get the “right” information relating to fitness, food and life. (Hint: There’s a lot of crap out there.)
- Create the “right” mindset that gets you implementing this “right” information to help you improve your life and get better results across the board.
Listen, I was just like you at one point. I started out in high school wanting to have abs like all the cool kids that got all the girls. So I trained and trained for the next 10 years to no avail. I tried every supplement, protocol and program out there. I read all the magazines. You name it, I tried it. There was even a 2-year period in which I spent 3-4 hours a day in the gym.
And what did I get from all this? Plenty of fat in my midsection. Sure, I looked “bigger” but I wasn’t “lean” or “fit” like I wanted to be. I was just skinny-fat.
To make a long story really short, I found CF then Paleo and from there my life was changed forever.
Nowadays, I train a quarter of what I used to. I spend even less on supplements and food. I don’t eat if I’m not hungry–I did the whole “6 meals-a-day” nonsense. I don’t stress over my results and my training is actually enjoyable now.
So, what results am I getting for a mere fraction of the time, money and hassle I used to spend in search of results?
I am stronger, fitter, have a six-pack, sleep great, better at managing stress, and accordingly to my blood test, have “perfect” health.
When I say I’m stronger and fitter, that’s an understatement. I’m exponentially stronger and fitter than I used to be… and I’m near 30 pounds lighter!
And here’s why you should care about all of this: Because these results are not atypical! In fact, for people that follow the protocols that I recommend on this site, results like mine are common!
It’s my mission to help you get the same results. I want to save you from becoming another victim of the system that is big pharma, industrialized food, mass media, and the supplement and sports nutrition industry (like I was for so many years).
This is why I promise you a few things…
- I promise to always give it to you straight–no sugar-coating or political correctness.
- I promise to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability and to point you in the right direction for finding the answer if I don’t have it.
- I promise to never promote a product or company that I don’t use myself on a daily basis. I will never “sell out” by promoting all kinds of crap that is common in the health and fitness industries.
Now, don’t think that this is a one-sided agreement. You have to promise me a few things as well.
You must promise:
- That you will work consistently hard.
- That you will question everything, including me.
- That you will do your own research and form your own conclusions based on that research
- That you will not lie to yourself about any of this.
- That you will accept what it takes to get results and not look for shortcuts. (Hint: hard work, clean eating, lots of sleep, life balance.)
Ok, I’m glad we are in agreement. It’s time to get to work. First things first: hop on my mailing list (HERE) to get the Gym Life files for free as well as my weekly motivational “Meditations” piece that goes out every Sunday. The rest of this page features links to my most popular articles. My advice is to start reading and see where it takes you. The journey of fitness is an individual pursuit that never looks the same for anyone else. That’s part of the fun.
Remember, if you need any help along the way, shoot me an email: email@example.com. I’m here to help.
Yours in Fitness,
Welcome To The Gym Life
What I Believe:
- Food is the root of health. Next comes sleep and stress. After that is lots of moving.
- Most food is crap. If you want to be healthy, you have to learn how to cook (or hire a personal chef).
- Sleep is non-negotiable. Skimp and you pay.
- Training your mind is just as important as training your body.
- That we can live a long freaking time. I think we will see people in our generation live to be 200 or longer. Think about it, even 40 years ago, we had no clue what made a person “healthy.” Yet, nowadays we keep uncovering ways to hack the human body to be better. And who knows what kind of advancements we will have in the next 10, 20 or 50 years.
- Learn How To Develop Elite Fitness: The Gym Life Book Of Fitness
- 50 Ways To Lose Weight: 50 Sure-Fire Ways To Lose Weight and Burn Fat Without Wasting Time, Money, Or Your Life In The Gym
- Learn How To Cook Any Ingredient In Minutes Without A Recipe
- The Gym Life Essays: Best Articles From AGYMLIFE.com Updated And Expanded
What you’ll find here:
- Fitness/XFIT: 9 Movements, Recovery articles, Choosing a Box, Interview
- Nutrition: Paleo, Primal, Real Food, Why You Don’t Have Abs, Abs Recipes, How To Cook Chicken
- Looking Good: 50 Ways To Lose Weight, How To Gain Weight, 32 Ways To Build More Muscle
- Books: Reading Tips, Books That Have Changed My Life, Recommendations, Quotes
- Motivation: Mindset, The “Safe” Route, What Kind Of Work Are You Doing
- Philosophy, Psychology: Stoicism, Use Your Worst
Recommended Products (my affiliate links… thank you for supporting the site!):
- Product Cheat Sheet
- ONNIT Supplements
- Bulletproof Upgraded Self Store
- Natural Stacks “Performance Essentials Stack” (My fav)
- ZMA (before bed, a must)
- GoPro (amazing)
- Lacrosse Ball (for trigger point therapy)
- Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee 12 oz.
- Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee Kit (Best value)
- Bulletproof Upgraded Whey Upgraded™ Chocolate Powder (stuff is amazing and lasts for months)
- MCT oil
- My Favorite Supplements
- Check out the rest of the recommended products below…
I send a list-only email out every Sunday. This includes any interesting news or articles from week before as well as an original motivational piece called a Gym Life “Meditation.” Make sure you join the list to get all the free Gym Life Files as well!
“How I Live”
Live each day to the fullest.
When you do something, do it deliberately and to the best of your ability.
When you love, love with everything.
When you laugh, laugh hearty.
When you eat, savor every bite.
When life doesn’t go your way, accept the challenge and overcome.
When you suffer loss, mourn then heal.
When others harm you, forgive them.
When you make mistakes, learn from them and forgive yourself.
When you give, give without expectation.
Live as if each day was your last, because it is; there is no guarantee of tomorrow.
If you wake up tomorrow remember: you have been given a gift, the gift of life. Savor it each second, of each day, for as long as you are fortunate enough to receive that gift.
Start with the Manifesto.
To find true happiness in life you must take control of the thoughts that are running through your head. If you float through life while letting your subconscious dictate what you do, say, think and feel, you’ll never have control, you’ll never call the shots, and eventually, you’ll end up with a life you don’t really want (maybe this is already true?).
The power of psychology is fascinating. I study how mindset and psychology apply to results-getting and goal-setting in the hopes that I will improve myself and be as “in control” as possible. By being in control, I’m able to decide what my results are. I write about my findings on this site and in my book. I hope you can take away some useful advice to help you make yourself better. Contact me for anything.
Most of you reading this will never reach the body and health you deserve. You won’t invest the time, make the sacrifices, and stay the course long enough to get there. This totally sucks, and I wish it wasn’t true, but we must face the facts.
Through education comes awareness. Through awareness comes mental development. Through mental development comes control over your life (and results).
If you want to control the results you get in life–whether that is life, relationships, business, health, fitness, etc.–than you must grab the reins and steer your life to where you want it to go. You can’t float through life with no rhyme or reason (like most do). Make a plan and stick to it. Then get to doing the work day in and day out.
You only get about 30,000 days of life. Don’t waste another one of these precious gifts floating around. Get moving. Get doing.
I believe that health and time are our most valuable resources.
Food, exercise, and mental awareness are the modalities I use to improve my health and longevity. I want to avoid hospitals, doctors, and dentists. I want to increase my chances of survival so I can better provide for my family.
As my health improves, I am granted more time and a better body to enjoy life with. With optimal health and abundant time I can do what I want, when I want, for as long as I want.
Each day I wake, I want to feel great and live that day to the fullest. I hope to balance goals with living in the now and appreciating what I have instead of worrying about what I want. I will remind myself that fulfillment is internal, a choice. If I choose contentment, everything else is a bonus. And I can’t seek true contentment if my health is fucked up.
This is my definition of freedom. And it is worth more to me than all the riches in the world…
Gym Life Videos (click here for more)
Gym Life Graphics:
The Gym Life Archives
- 50 Ways To lose weight
- 25 Uses for Coconut Oil
- Why You Don’t Get Results
- My Favorite Supplements
- Lose Weight and Save Time with One-Pot Paleo Meals
- A Basic Weight Lifting Guide – Build Muscle and Burn Fat
- 15 Ways To Live A Better Life
- 10 Must-Have Products For Fit People
- How To Eat Clean With The Paleo Diet
- The Medicine Ball Clean
- Weakness And Why We Suck At Not Sucking
- The Single Most Important Thing To Focus On For Getting Results
- The Trinity of Looking and Feeling Awesome
- How To Cook Protein in a Pan
- Why You Don’t Have Abs: It’s Your Food Dummy
- The Last Nutrition Article You Will Ever Read
- “Create Your Own Workout” Template
- The Gym Life Manifesto
- The Air Squat
- How to Prepare Healthy Recipes At Home for The Beginner – A Basic Cooking Course
- Easy paleo Recipe – Butternut Squash Soup
- What Is The Paleo Diet?
- The Front Squat
- Eating Out Gluten-Free – Red, The Steakhouse Miami Beach
- The Shoulder Press
- Burn Fat Everytime You Eat By Eating Slow
- The Overhead Squat
- How To Train for a Muscle Up
- How To Make Paleo Leftovers Taste Fresh with One Ingredient
- The Push Jerk
- The Push Press
- How to Prepare Healthy Recipes at Home for The Beginner
- Paleo Condiments to Rescue Your Boring Meals
- Why you don’t have abs? It’s your food Dummy!
- OMG It’s Gluten-Free…I’m Saved. Not
- How To Make Clarified Butter – Paleo Style
- Cooking Tools For Home Paleo Cooking
- How To Make Creme Fraiche
- How To Train For A Muscle-Up – Muscle-Up Progression Exercises
- Burn Fat Every Time You Eat By Eating Slow
- Easy Paleo Recipe 1# – Butternut Squash Soup
- How To Cook Protein In A Pan – Developing A Beautiful Crust
- Benchmark Workouts – The “Girls”
- Paleo Condiments To Rescue Your Boring Meals
- How to Make Paleo Leftovers Taste Fresh with ONE Ingredient
- The 9 Foundational Movements in Picture Form
- How To Eat Clean With The Paleo Diet
- How To Find A Box That Works For You
- Finishing Your Paleo Recipes
- What is The Paleo Diet?
- Healthy Paleo Fats For The Modern Man
- OMG it’s Gluten-Free…I’m saved. Not.
- What You Need To Know Before You Start a Training Program
- An Introduction to Mindfulness and Meditation
- Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee 12 oz.
- Bulletproof Cacao Tea
- Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee Kit
- Bulletproof Upgraded Whey Upgraded™ Chocolate Powder
- MCT oil
- Bulletproof® Whey Smoothie Kit
- Bulletproof Upgraded Cacao Butter
- CILTEP® – For Optimal Mental Performance
- Natural Stacks Performance Essentials Pack MagTech, Antarctic Krill Oili, Vitamin D 3
- Now Foods ZMA
- Carlson Labs Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, A Natural source of Vitamin A and D
- Now Foods Vitamin D3
- Solaray Vitamin C 1000mg Two Stage Timed Release – 250 – Capsule
- Enzymatic Therapy L-Theanine
- Now Foods BETAINE HCL
- Purity Products Dr. Cannell’s Advanced Vitamin D 60 Capsules
- FunFresh Foods Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- Tanka Bar,natural Buffalo Cranberry Bar
- AMRAP Nutrition, Refuel Bar
- California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Raw Organic Cashews
- Health Garden Kosher Birch Xylitol
- Raw Whole Macadamias
- Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Spring Water
- Organic Coconut Milk
- Equal Exchange Organic Orange Dark Chocolate
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna
- Now Foods Organic Macadamia Oil Pure
- NOW Foods – Avocado Oil 16 Ounce
- Aerobie 80R08 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker w/ filter
- Bodum Brazil 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 34-Ounce Hamilton Beach 80365 Custom Grind Hands-Free Coffee Grinder
- Oxo Good Grips Mini LiquiSeal Travel Mug
- Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp
- The Richest Man in Babylon
- The Art of Living: The Classical Mannual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
- The Instant Millionaire: A Tale of Wisdom and Wealth
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind The Alchemist – 10th Anniversary Edition
- The Gym Life Essays: Improve Your Life Through Fitness, Food, and Mindset
- Kitchen Timers
- Kitchen Scales
- RealSalt Kosher Sea Salt, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6)
- Digital Scale City Pronto Precision Plus Stainless Steel 11lb. Kitchen Food Scale
- Winco Fish Spatula
- Scanpan Nonstick pans
- The Stainless Steel Earth Pan by Ozeri
- Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife
- Vitamix 5200s
- Max Burton 6200
- OXO Good Grips Fish Turner
- Scanpan Nonstick pans
- Hamilton Beach 6 Speed Power Deluxe Hand Mixer
- Oxo International 74291 Good Grips Balloon Whisk
- Thunder Group Stainless Steel Measuring Spoon
- Easy Flex 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set
- Safetouch Powder Free Latex Exam Gloves
- Cuisinart Immersion Hand Blender
- Mixing bowls
- OXO Good Grips Pepper Grinder
- Silicone and Stainless Steel Tongs
- Robb Wolf Paleo Guides
- US Wellness Meats
- Your Guide To Paleo Guides
- Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
- The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation [Kindle Edition]
- Sundesa Blenderbottle with Blenderball
- Brine Mini Lacrosse Ball 2 Pack (Assorted)
- Black High Density Foam Rollers – Extra Firm
- 2000lbs Anti Burst Exercise Stability Ball with Pump
- Evernote – $45 a year – excellent for organizing life
- Kindle – $I recommend buying a kindle. The thing is amazing for getting books read
- Spotify – $10 a month..really? Amazing
- Pic Stitch – picture collage app
- Instagram – standard
- Sign now – Sign documents digitally
- Tripit – If you travel often this is a must have
- American Express – manage cards on the go
- Audible – Listen to books in car
Podcasts I listen to
- Smart Passive Income – My go-to for Internet marketing
- The Random Show – Tim Ferris and Kevin Rose – interesting and fun to watch
- Internet Business Mastery
- Tim Ferris Blog
- Smart Passive Income
- Seth’s Blog
- The Art of doing less
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Barking Up The Wrong Tree
- 37 Signals Blog
- The Oatmeal – I literally laugh out loud to some of his stuff
- Copy Blogger
The Paleo Diet
- The Greatest info graphic – Other Infographic
- Organic or Clean shoppers guide
- Food Quality – Balanced Bites
- Balanced Bites
- The Training Box Nutrition Resources
- Mark Sisson’s Website – MarksDailyApple.com (my most trusted source of information)
- Paleo Food Pyramid Thread
- The Bulletproof diet
- Robb Wolf
- Free The Animal
- Lean Gains
- Fitness Resources
- I am an affiliate for the following programs. I have personally used all of these products and can safely recommend them.
- ReeBok – Excellent shoes and apparel for athletes
- Paleo Recipe Books – ton of easy quick and tasty recipes for your Paleo eating pleasure
- Rogue Fitness – I buy all new equipment for my affiliate from them. After years of buying cheap, discounted crap I’ve learned (the hard way) to only by the best.